Sunday, February 17, 2013

Most Days Are Happy, Some Days Not So Much!

Chris often plays like he is a cat. Especially with Papa. Here one morning a week or so ago, he was being my cat. :)


As I mentioned on the last blog, the girls had their first official, kid attending, birthday party a few days after their 5th birthday. Paula (and Mike) planned a great party with a Hawaiian luau theme. According to Claire, it was the "Best party ever"! Here is a preview of the cupcakes .....



The girls are blowing out the candles on their individual cupcakes.



Although we were not there, we loved hearing all about it. We were having our own 'party'! Chris came to our house for his first ever solo overnight stay. We were all just a bit unsure if he would be happy without his family but he had a great time! We played lots with Papa's remote control truck, the t-ball and bat, and Lego's. He slept right between Papa and I and did very well. The picture below shows him operating Papa's electric recliner...he thought that was a super toy and gave himself rides up and down at every opportunity.  


On Monday morning, following the fun weekend, we received sad news that my Aunt Dorothy had passed away. My plans to visit this spring or summer to visit her, among other things, were going to be too late. I was very touched and sad. At Norm's urging, I quickly obtained a ticket to Iowa and left the next morning. I was able to visit my sister and her husband, and travel with them to the services in Des Moines. I have never seen such beautiful flowers, plants, and natural arrangements at any memorial service previously. She was a Master Gardner and very active in the city botanical garden as well as other garden clubs,organizations, and her church.  Her service was lovely, (all planned by her and left in a folder for her daughters to find) with amazing music and readings appropriate and honoring to her life.



Although a very sad occasion, it was an opportunity to see many of my cousins whom I haven't seen in years. My Sis and I met several of the cousins, Aunt Pat, and my Aunt Dorothy's best friend, Eileen, for lunch and enjoyed some additional time together.  



We will miss you Aunt Becky (as most people caller her)! A reading from the memorial service bulletin is worth sharing. (Author unknown). I believe this pretty much sums up her life.

Live Each Day to the Fullest

Live each day to the fullest
Get the most from each hour, each day,
and each age of your life.
Then you can look forward with confidence,
and back without regrets.
Be yourself ~ but your best self.
Dare to be different
and follow your own star.
Don't be afraid to be happy ~
enjoy what is beautiful.
Love with all your heart and soul.
Believe that those you love, love you.
When you are faced with decision,
make that decision as wisely
as possible ~ then forget it.
The moment of absolute certainty never arrives.
Above all, remember that God helps
those who help themselves.
Act as if everything depended on you,
and pray as if everything depended on God.

No comments: