Sunday, March 30, 2014

Bonus Time With the Grandchildren!

Whenever the opportunity arises and we get the chance to spend a little extra time with the three C's we jump at it. That happened twice in the past couple of weeks giving us much enjoyment.
The first opportunity was very short but during that time Chloe, Claire, Chris and I made a dessert and some dinner for the family. When I arrived Chris' first question was, "Do you have the ingredients, Grandma?" I was super impressed with that big word and I assured him that I did. We made a key lime pie, (easy, easy, easy, but no pictures) and then they made chicken and veggies in a biscuit basket, the same recipe that Claire and Chloe made at our home a few weeks back. The picture below shows Chris and Claire at work on the biscuits. Chloe had taken a break and gone outside following her hard work on the pie. Believe it or not, Chris didn't clobber anyone with the rolling pin but it looks as if we were lucky!



The second opportunity came for Papa and me to stay with Chris during the parent/teacher/student conferences that were scheduled. At Claire and Chloe's school the students attend along with the parents and they are asked to do some goal setting. I am told that Chloe's goal was to do better writing her "N's" and to go to bed on time at night. Claire's goals, I believe, had to do with her math and also her bedtime. They both got excellent report cards but then that didn't surprise me at all.

Papa and I arrived a little before Chris was finished with his nap and so I took some time to walk around the yard and snap a few pictures. These children are so blessed with the surroundings that they have to play in and learn from. Beautiful little flowers were blooming all around the yard and although the yard is still a work in progress it is a very pleasant and lovely setting. Mike has had a couple of articles written about his work with the trillium and other plants that he is cultivating. They have a couple of small ponds as well as a creek on their property and a resident frog actually hopped out to pose for my camera. The chickens are producing plenty of eggs that the kids are very proud to gather. The chicken stories that the children tell are quite funny.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
When Chris woke up we spent some indoor time and some outdoor time with him. One of the latest projects that their family is doing is polishing rocks. We brought a small collection of some rocks that my Dad had collected and polished and Papa and Chris enjoyed looking at them. In amongst the rocks was a claw of some type and an old glass eye that my Dad had lots of fun with many years back. His profession was in the optical field and he had a glass eye or two around. I am told that sometimes he would put it in the bottom of a guest's coffee cup and they would have a good laugh when the guest finally discovered it. I tricked the girls when they got back from school by putting on my sunglasses and telling them I had an eye problem and then I opened up my hand to show the glass eye. I did get them going a bit, but only for a very short time.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Today the three C's were part of a children's group that sang in our church service. They did a great job and it was fun to see all of them in the sanctuary for a change. Looking forward to a great week with hopefully a little more rain and then some great spring weather. Next week Claire, Chloe, and I plan to participate in  a Walk4Water to raise funds for clean water supplies in Africa. Hoping for a great day and a good learning experience for the girls. 
 


No comments: